Planning is underway for the season-ending tournament that will take place on Saturday, October 21st and Sunday, October 22nd (no Friday matches). The majority of tournament brackets will take place on a single day but a few might take place over the course of two days due to the size of the brackets and gym availability. All teams are automatically entered into the tournament unless they communicate to us through their coordinator by October 1st that they do not want to participate. Teams will be split into brackets of 6-10 teams (mostly by winning percentage) and the winner and runner-up for each bracket will receive individual medals. No team will play more than 4 matches in the tournament, and most of them, 3 or less.
Here is some additional information about the tournament:
- Tournament matches will be played at various gyms around the city as well as Elite Athletic Sports Complex and Sports Express. Please note that we cannot work around schedule conflicts for the tournament.
- A tentative gym schedule will be shared with coordinators no later than October 11th and will be based on gym availability specified on our website.
- As with regular season games, each coach will need to pay the referee $15, both teams should provide a lines person, and the "home team" should work the scoreboard. The home team is always the higher seed.
- Since it is a single elimination tournament, if a team wins the first two sets, a third set will NOT be played.
- Individual medals will be given out to players on the 1st and 2nd place teams in each bracket.
- Recreational teams will not be moved up to play in athletic divisions for the tournament. Teams, however, may be moved between different athletic divisions within the same age group based on regular season performance.
- The recreational divisions will typically be split into 6-10 team brackets based on regular season winning percentage across all pods. So the "best" 6-10 teams will play in the A bracket, the next "best" 6-10 teams will play in the B bracket, etc ... This is the same methodology we have used in the past.
- The schedule will be released on Tuesday evening, October 17th as we will base the bracket assignments and seedings on all regular season results as reported by 8pm on Sunday, October 15th. If we can provide guidance on where brackets will be playing in advance of the 17th, we will do so.
- Once the schedule is released we CANNOT change it. We have such a small window for these games, there can be absolutely no changes. If a team cannot make it, they will need to forfeit the match and will need to pay the ref fee.
- If your team will NOT be participating in the tournament, coaches or coordinators please email the league no later than October 1st!